The Classic is a 2003 South Korean romance melodrama film directed by Kwak Jae-yong. The film tells the parallel love stories of a mother and daughter. The story of the mother is told partially in flashbacks. Son Ye-jin is in dual roles as Ji-hye and Joo-hee (Ji-hye’s mother), Jo Seung-woo as Joon-ha and Jo In-sung as Sang-min.
Awards and nominations
- 2003 39th Baeksang Arts Awards: Best New Actress – Son Ye-jin
- 2003 40th Grand Bell Awards: Best New Actress – Son Ye-jin
- 2003 24th Blue Dragon Film Awards: Popular Star Award – Son Ye-jin
- 2003 2nd Korean Film Awards: Best Music – Jo Yeong-wook
- 2004 9th Moscow International Love Movie Awards: Best Couple – Jo Seung-woo and Son Ye-jin
- 2004 Hong Kong Film Awards: Nominated, Best Asian Film
Music on the Movie
- “그랬나봐” (“Geuraetna bwa” – World without love) – performer: Kim Hyung-joong
- “”고백” (“Gobaek” – Confession) – performer: Delispice — played during the art gallery scene
- “너에게 난 나에게 넌” (“Neo-ege nan na-ege neon” – Me to you, you to me) – performer: Jatanpung — played during both special umbrella scenes
- “너무 아픈 사랑은 사랑이아니었음을” (“Neomu apeun sarang-eun sarang-i anieosseumeul” – It wasn’t love if it hurt so much) – performer: Kim Kwang-seok – played during train and last meeting scenes
- “사랑하면 할수록” (“Saranghamyeon halsurok” – If we are in love, then…) – Played in different instrumental versions throughout the film — always at emotional moments. It is sung in the final scenes by performer Han Song Min. There are also two Mandarin versions of this song , one is titled “Huise Kongjian” (灰色空間) which is sung by Taiwanese singer Show Luo in the Taiwanese drama The Outsider II, and the another one is titled The Classic (假如爱有天意) which is sung by Chinese singer Li Jian in I Am a Singer 3 breakout round.
- “Do Wah Diddy Diddy” by Manfred Mann
- “Hippy Hippy Shake” by The Swinging Blue Jeans
- The piano piece performed by Joo-hee on stage is Beethoven’s Piano Sonata 8, movement 2 Pathetique Sonata. Pachelbel’s Canon in D was also used as the background music. This same piece was featured in the director’s earlier film, My Sassy Girl.